Sicilian Odyssey: Language, History, and Arts
Who: US Students
When: March 11 - 18, 2023
Trip Leaders: Mrs. Laviola and Mr. McGrann
Approximate Cost: $4,800
Visit Sicily, a land where man-made and natural wonders are equally apt to amaze. We will relive ancient history as we tour Roman and Greek ruins in cities like Palermo and Taormina. Nature takes center stage on our excursion to Mt. Etna, one of the world's most active volcanoes and an awe-inspiring sight at 11,014 feet tall.
Sicily's hospitable people and delectable cuisine are perhaps the most important part of this experience. We will be immersed in those aspects of Sicilian culture as we do walking tours of various cities, visit a market in Palermo, and enjoy a wonderful farm lunch at Leano Agriresort.
March 11, 2023
Depart from US.
March 12, 2023
Meet your tour director and check into
Travel to Taormina
Daily reflection and group discussion
March 13, 2023
Greek theater visit
Mt. Etna excursion
March 14, 2023
Travel to Enna (Via Siracusa)
Archaeological site visit
Farm lunch at Leano Agriresort
Enna tour director led sightseeing
March 15, 2023
Travel to Piazza Armerina
Armerina city walk
Piazza Armerina Visit
Piazza Armerina cathedral visit
LEAP Pick a Patron
Villa del Casale visit
March 16, 2023
Travel to Palermo via Segesta
Greek temple and theater visit
March 17, 2023
Tour director led market tour
Palermo sightseeing tour
Old Arab Quarter, Travel to
Benouville, Palazzo dei Normanni
visit, Palatine Chapel
March 18, 2023
Students must see Mrs. Laviola or Mr. McGrann in person by Monday, May 23. to have their name placed on the initial list.
Participants will be selected for the trips from that list based on the following criteria:
- All travelers must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the trip. This means that on the date of travel, at least 14 days will have passed since your child received the final shot for the vaccine, AND your child is up-to-date with any recommended booster shots.
- Proof of vaccination status must be provided to Bridget Marcato, School Nurse.
- All travelers must follow all health and safety regulations issued by the destination location, as well as any such regulations issued by MBS.
- All students must be in good standing in order to be eligible for any of the trips being offered.
- Juniors and seniors will have top priority.
- Space is limited. No more than 24 students will be on the trip.
- If we reach the maximum number of participants for a given trip, we will need to hold a lottery for juniors and seniors.
- Freshmen and sophomores will be picked by way of a lottery system after the juniors and seniors have been selected.
- The deadline for the sign-ups for interested participants is Monday, May 23.. Sign-ups must be in person. No exceptions.
- The Trip Leader and Director of Global Studies will send an email to those selected with the information on how to sign-up online for the trip, if applicable.
- Selected participants must be signed up and pay a non-refundable deposit of $300 by June 3.
- Financial aid is available for anyone needing assistance. Please see Ms. Ahern for more information.
Sorry, but all spots for the Hawaii trip have been filled!