Who: Upper School Students
When: March 9, 2019 - March 16, 2019
Trip Leaders: Aline de la Torre-McCloskey, Troy Rusnack, Rocio Romero, and Anna Pardo
In March 2019, 19 MBS students had the opportunity to improve their Spanish-speaking ability while immersing themselves in the culture of one of the oldest colonial cities in the Americas — Cartagena, Colombia. The birthplace of many styles of Afro-Colombian music and home to many different varieties of tropical wildlife, Colombia was the perfect setting for a unique spring break trip!
Watch a student-produced video that brings the experience to life:
- Day 1 - Departure - Arrive Cartagena - Walking Tour
- Day 2 - Cartagena: Bike Tour - Coffee Tasting
- Day 3 - Cartagena: San Basilio De Palenque Day Trip
- Day 4 - Cartagena: La Boquilla Day Trip - Foundation Visit
- Day 5 - Cartagena: Language Classes - Cumbia Dance Show and Class
- Day 6 - Cartagena: Language Classes - Cooking Class
- Day 7 - Day Trip to Rosario Islands
- Day 8 - Departure
The perfect way to experience Costa Rica at its best. After getting full safety and paddling instructions from your guide, head off into lush rainforest teeming with toucans, herons, and iguanas. Be on the lookout for basilisk lizards—these reptiles can scurry across the water on their hind legs, a feat that earned them the nickname “Jesus Christ lizards.” End your tour of Costa Rica’s most popular river with a traditional lunch prepared by your guide.